Tuesday 7 August 2012

lunes el 6 agosto

Today I wanted to go slow and I didn´t get far anyway. Leaving fairly late at 7.30 due to the fog, I descended the mountain under the mist. Nothin´ wild (!)was happening until I took a wrong turn down a country track. The route in Galicia is very poorly waymarked. A farmer on his tractor told me I was going the wrong way but I didn´t want to go back uphill so I said I´d carry on and he said okay. I sped off like a demon. It would be okay, it´s all downhill, right? Wrong!! I could see a road but I would have had to swim across a river so I told myself off and went back up. Luckily I saved face as the farmer was not about. This morning I kept criss-crossing a pair of wideboys from Madrid ' we kept laughing at how many times we were saying ´buen camino´ to each other. They were actually pissing me off at first because they were playing the radio, awful Pitbull music really loudly at 8am!! Just not necessary on a walk chicos. I stopped at a beautiful modern cafe and met a lovely woman from Montreal called Renee. A teacher, dur, but in a previous job she had a company making clothes for amputees. I have met a lot of people who have been involved in charitable type jobs. I keep bumping into people from a few days ago and it is really nice to catch up. Whilst sat on a wall at Triacastela, putting my factor 50 on, I met a girl called Salma from Columbia and we bonded over our high factor needs! She is an actress working in a theatre in Barcelona and we have just the spend the whole day together. Coming into Samos was tough, I have tendonitis (self-diagnosed) at the top of my foot and my knee is not too clever either. I blame downhills. Seeing our destino in the valley below was certainly ´vale la pena´as it was a detour of an extra 6k and some hills
. Tonight we are in Samos, staying in one of Spain´s oldest and biggest monestaries. It is donativo. We put our washing out where we could (mine on top of a bush) and sat in the sun with a fantastic meal (€9) and some Spaniards- rainbow salad, meat stew and homemade fries followed by a delicious Tarta de Santiago. Washed down with a bottle of red, porque no?! Aah it´s tough at the top. Later we took a tour of the monestary - photos on picasa. Salma went to mass and I went to the supermarket for tomorrow´s breakfast and now I´m sat in a Galician/Celtic bar with some red and free tapas. Not too shabby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment