Tuesday 7 August 2012

To Triacastela

Man I´m annoyed my posts don´t have paragraphs, after painstakingly putting them in!!! Herrerias - Alto de Poio A mist hung over the mountains that I was to go over so I decided to leave a little later so there would be some light. There´s nothing like climbing 600m first thing in the morning (!) I came across a couple, him running and her on the bike with their things. I don´t know who got the raw deal there. Crossing into Galicia, I was definitely entering a very different Spain. It is very like rural Ireland, from the manure on the road, the smell of peat burning, farmers leading their cattle down the road and little dogs yapping. Ha ha. The only difference is that the cattle wear bells. The weather is cooler and I have been cursing myself for sending home my warm rain jacket. I don´t really remember walking today, my feet etc are all conditioned to it by now. I could walk about 40 every day now but I am way ahead of schedule so I´m trying to slow down. It´s difficult to stop yourself when you are flying along. The views have been worth this morning´s climb. Tonight I am staying at a very high point of the route 1337m and it´s very chilly at night without a jumper! I ate what I will call peasant food and it was delicious. I have become very lazy when it comes to ordering. Tonight i had ´meat and potatores´' I didn´t even bother to ask what kind of meat but it had obviously been stewing for hours in a great sauce. Makes a change from fried stuff. Now that I don´t have to cover up the old sunburn I want the sun to come out! I really miss some of the friends I have made along the way and I wonder if they are ahead or behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment