Saturday 28 July 2012

To Carrión de los Condes 22k

This is turning out to be a very special trip. I have been touched my people's kindness and sheer generosity, peregrinos and locals alike. It is true that you never walk alone! *

Today I walked 22k with an Australian, Matt, that I only met at breakfast (coffee and cake is the norm in the albergues). He normally walks 40k so he kept me at a fantastic pace. It is strange how you.cam have such intense conversations with a stranger!

I was all geared up to walk with him and some other guys to the next stop, which was 17k without any water fountains/shops/roads/villages. Everyone was panicking about this stage and so most were going to do.it tomorrow. I think I.just wanted to push myself to do 37k.

So I set off slightly ahead. The mind was willing but my god the body was weeeeak! I stopped for a break outside Carrión, opposite a beautiful monastarey that had been turned into a hotel. I fantasised about staying there. Just as I sometimes fantasise about getting the bus jeje.

Further on.I.was really not in a good place after only 5k and suddenly I had a nosebleed. I realised I would have to turn back. I was absolutely gutted to lose my group as we all for on so well and will probably never catch up wirh them.

The walk back was horrendous and u realised I had been extremely lucky to have had this nosebleed! I really believe in fate and my body was just saying no.

So... guess where I am staying tonight?! Yup, the hotel! I know it's only my 4th day but I needed a proper place where I could chill, have a bath etc and I couldn't walk any further into the town.

It is only a 3* but all I can say is WOW!! See my next post for the pics.

I have loved this evening, it haa been bliss to walk around without a rucksack. I love how everyone suddenly comes out after their siesta and it is really balmy. Lush!

Ps another thing I love is that there is a real range in ages, there are no gap-yah kids on this trip.

*I was searching for a walking stick today and a friend of a friend heard and he immediately insisted I take his!

No comments:

Post a Comment