Saturday 28 July 2012

To Fromista 27km

After a strenuous climb out of Castrojeriz, it was all downhill from here. The Camino so far has been full of some very special moments and getting to the top of the mountain just as dawn broke was certainly one of them.

I wasn't to know but the Germans and Dutch ppl climbing behind me were to go on to become good friends later in the day.

Again, we descended into fields of sunflowers and it always makes me smile when they turn to face the sun.

I am typing this on my phone by the way so apologies for the poor grammar! My pet hate as well, jeje.

Next, a short pitstop at a gurgling fountain, where I befriended a British man, Richard (wow, someone from the UK at last!) And we enjoyed the view back over the plains. Unfortunately, he was to go on and injure himself by jumping over a ditch today. One mistake and your whole trip could be over.

Everyone is in some form of pain. But as they say, "it's not what's going on down there, but what's going on up here"! So true.

At the fountain there was a man selling my breakfast of fruit and cafe con leche. It was donativo, like a lot of things on the route, it was donation only. The people are full of kindness.

For my second breakfast (!), I chatted to a french man in his return to La Rochelle (he knew André's bistro!). I cannot imagine getting to Santiago then walking back!

I then met a nice Dutch guy called Jon and he introduced me to magdelena from Hamburg. We all hit it off and kept each other going for tve last 10k. I find the last k into your resting point to be the most difficult. Again, everything is psychological!

I had planned to go further than 25k but man it was hard in the end. In fact, the last 2 days I have been hobbling about like an old lady. TBH my body 'kin aches all over! Waaaay worse than a day of skiing. I couldn't even get down from my top bunk for 3 hours yesterday jajaja. Luckily I was able to chat to some lovely french ppl who were retired teachers from Nantes! They do a part of the Camino each year. This is quite common.

In the albergue (7euro) I met a really interesting dutch guy, Mel (training to be a you know what, can't bloody get away from them!), who had cycled from Holland and was heading to Portugal to learn to surf. Many ppl want to continue to Portugal. We went to a guitar concert in a church, an american guy was using his guitar to pay for his trip.

Another man.is apparently going round with a donkey and people give him money to pet it. I am going to suggest this to my uncle as he keeps donkeys.

I have been trying to get into some of the beautiful churches but they are all closed up in the afternoons. I guess priests have to have their siesta too! Also, they charge a euro to go in, talk about commmercailisation! I think in 5 years' time the Camino will be extremely busy and nothing will be donativo.

No comments:

Post a Comment