Monday 30 July 2012

The last couple of days

After 5 days, I hit the wall. I was only doing 17km but it may as well have been through treacle. I don´t mind telling you that I actually shed a tear over the pain!! Evil bag. Evil boots. Evil boring road.

The problem, apart from everything catching up with me physically, was that the road was endless. The only thing of note that I passed were two farms. There were a couple of wells but they had run dry and the picnic benches were attracting flies. I have been bitten to death. I´m all about stopping for a break every 2 hours!!

When I saw a church on the horizon I was sure it must be a mirage, but then as I passed over the ridge of the hill I saw an albergue woo hoo. An albergue with a swimming pool, get in!! Whilst there I got chatting to this really cool Californian dude from SF. We got talking about why we were doing the camino and to my surprise he said he was going to train as a Jesuit priest!! I tried to hide my shock of course! He said he had been working in finance for 10 years and had become sick of the race for more and more money. Some absolute gobshite from Brum kept butting in on our interesting conversation to tell us what life is really all about and what religion is etc. So patronising!! He also thought he was being hilarious to call me Shrek´s wife. Bitch please.

I slept so well and I have definitely become used to the snorers. I have trained myself to think that they are lullabies lol. The women are the worst. Animals I tell you.

This morning I wasn´t sure how far I would get but after a few stretches and a decent meal last night (including warm yoghurt a la casa, nom nom (!)), I set off under the stars. I have done 35k today and I´m so bloody proud of myself.

I have arrived in Leon this afternoon and I have noticed, again, some nasty burns on the back of my legs. I am tanning on only the back of my body, as obviously I continually facing west. I have picked up some aloe vera and factor 50 so that should do the trick. Tomorrow I am going to post home 1kg of things. Every little helps.

Leon is a beautiful city and it doesn´t even realise it! The Cathedral is pretty breathtaking inside. I got myself an ice cream (actually not a patch on Frederick´s) and enjoyed the street entertainment.

Tonight I am staying in a Benedictine Monistery, ran by nuns. They run it like an army with walkie talkies which I find hilarious. It is only €5 including breakfast. However, there is a curfew of 9.30pm.

I was walking about the old town earlier and as the albergue is extremely difficult to find, I managed to get lost. I asked some local police the way and they didn´t know! They realised I was on my own and so they gave me a ride home! I can only imagine what the nuns were thinking as I rocked up in the back of the car jejeje. I had better so as it is nearly 9.30. I plan to stay in Leon a while longer tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment